This program differs from the Computer Aided Drafting/Building Information Modeling Technology Associate in Applied Science degree by offering more general education as part of the core requirement, making it more transferrable to colleges and universities who chose to articulate with South Puget Sound Community College. The only current accepted articulation for this AAS-T degree is with The Evergreen State College as part of their up-side-down degree.
The program is designed to meet entry-level employment requirements in Computer Aided Drafting occupations and provide students with a broad range of employment opportunities in Architectural, Civil, Mechanical and Building Information Modeling technologies. In addition, students may elect a specific area of concentration to meet their personal goals or occupational requirements.
CAD / BIM technicians translate the ideas and rough sketches of architects, engineers and designers into 2D plans and 3D models. Experienced workers may advance to building modelers, plan checkers, detailers or design drafters. A typical work week will consist of 40 hours, but overtime may be required to meet deadlines. CAD / BIM Technicians can work for engineers, architectural firms, manufacturing plants, designers, and a wide variety of government agencies. See Information Technology » Computer Aided Drafting Technology for more career and employment information.
At the completion foe the CAD/BIM Technology Program, the successful student will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, think critically, formulate, and present accurate solutions to the assigned projects
- Able to use a variety of effective communication tools and skills to support conclusions, project solutions and technical documentation
- Apply knowledge related academic skills, applied mathematics and industry software platforms to resolve technical engineering / drafting problems
- Commit to the quality of results in assigned projects and professional and ethical responsibility related to their professional discipline
- Actively engage on diverse, multi-disciplinary teams
In addition, students who complete the program will demonstrate the following skills standards specific to CAD-BIM Technology:
- Produce a personal portfolio of industry standard documents utilizing a variety of computer drafting applications
- Develop complete plans to meet the needs of the (AEC) Architecture, Engineering and Construction industries
- Create 3-D parametric building models and related content using Autodesk Revit. Use embedded information to analyze and document building characteristics
- Develop plans and profiles, section views, sub division maps, grading plans with accurate and correct interpretation of survey data utilizing survey instruments
- Model mechanical design concepts in 3D utilizing industry recognized solid modeling software
- Textbooks and required tools are estimated to range from $300.00 - $500.00 for the 2-Year program
- $15.00 - $25.00 lab fee included in tuition costs will be charged for each appropriate course
- Program experiences will include E-Learning and innovative use of technology
AAS-T Degree Requirements
The degree concentrates on the technical aspects of the student’s chosen career area. To qualify for the degree, a student must successfully complete three of the four possible certificates, meet the requirements of the approved AAS-T program and earn at least 90 credits in courses numbered 100 or above. Courses for the degree should be selected with the assistance of an academic advisor in accordance with a prescribed program of study listed for CAD/BIM Technology. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 in core and distribution courses is required for transfer to The Evergreen State College.
Admission: CAD/BIM Technology Program has an open enrollment policy with curriculum paths starting every quarter, except summer.
Additional Program Information
CAD/BIM Technology AAS-T
For Transfer to The Evergreen State College
Additional Requirements – Architectural Drafting Certificate
Additional Requirements – Mechanical Drafting Certificate
Additional Requirements – Civil Drafting Certificate
Additional Requirements – Building Information Modeling Certificate
Additional Requirements – AAS-T
Complete 3 of the 4 Certificate Additional Requirements
General Education Requirements – AAS-T
Additional 5 credits from the General Education(AA)
Effective Catalog Year 2017-2018, Revised March 21, 2017